Thread: Literary Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #13
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I'm not that advanced in the book but there are many dialects in Germany. I can only imagine they were more pronounced at the time Thomas Mann wrote this book. I remember Schwebisch (from the Constance lake? = Bodensee) which is even worse than the usual Swiss German. Even when those people tried to speak High German, so that I could understand, the words they used and how they phrased things was indeed strange...

I need to install a German dictionary on my reader before I go any further, I fear I'm missing too much from the descriptions without it...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote