View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #70
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I'd appreciate you citing some examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
That's because none of us are very trusting of ceding control. Remember the Kindle is Amazon's second pass at e-books. Years before they sold DRM PDF e-books, decided they were too much bother, and shut down the business, leaving the existing customers high and dry. There is a lot of defunct small publishers, leaving DRM'ed books in their wake that can no longer be transferred to a new reading device. The first e-book readers came out in the late 1990's...
Also: MSN Music, the MLB, Google Video... there are plenty of examples.

Quote:
In a cloud based, subscription service model, of course, you don't purchase individual books,merely the right to read say x number of books per month.
It better be a very high number of books per month if I don't get to keep the books. I'm thinking unlimited usage. Or, since I don't read as much as I used to due to a small child, perhaps a max of $8/month for up to 15 books per month, something like that. Something in line with Netflix's model. Unlimited for $15/month.

Quote:
Its not really that different , come to think of it, from what you do when you "buy" an ebook- there you buy a right to read the ebook for an unlimited time.
If Amazon went out of business tomorrow , you would be in the same position anyway.
Yes! You're finally getting it! This is why DRM sucks!

Quote:
Again, if people don't like the model, then it won't work. These days, however, people stream music without buying it, without feeling that they are morons who don't know what's good for them. Guess its easy to look down your long nose at those "soiled masses" who prefer a different model to those in the know.
I stream music without buying it. I pay $13/month for unlimited usage of new and old songs in my car (long drive to work), at home, on my computer, and on my iTouch. I don't care that I'm 'renting' it for the same reason I don't care that I rent my tv package: I don't care to own it. It's throw-away to me. Books, on the other hand, I like to read repeatedly. But for $13/month, I don't ever have to buy another mp3 album. Ever. I don't have that same relationship with books.