View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #39
Hofferic
Enthusiast
Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hofferic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st gen, Moon+ Reader, CalibreBox Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zan5hin View Post
Is there a third way I can create a Calibre library in Dropbox instead of moving my entire library or creating a symbolic link?

I have a program called SyncBackPro, I was hoping I could just create a folder in Dropbox called Calibre and copy the database file or whatever it is, and then selectively sync some of the Author folders manually. Is this possible?
There may be other options to get your library into dropbox, but those would still result in the full amount of space being used. The only alternative to reduce space usage would be a selective synchronization for the actual book files, as you proposed. Just to be clear, I DO NOT recommend doing this (especially for novice users), but as long as the folder structure remains intact and you include the file "metadata.db" the app should work mostly error-free. You should, however, be prepared for missing cover images and failed book downloads (no surprise there, can't download whats not there).
This may also lead to slightly higher network activity (although with much reduced volume) as the app will retry to download cover images that should be available according to the database whenever they are shown and not stored in the local cache.

Regarding the folder structure:
Make sure you create a folder with nothing but your selected part of the calibre library in it, the name of which will be used as the library name (as in Calibre itself). You absolutely, no way around it, have to include the file "metadata.db" from your library in this folder. To apply changes in your local library to the dropbox copy, update this file! Then, for all the authors you would like to include, copy the according author folders. If you make any changes to your library that results in file or folder renames within the library folder those will also have to be mirrored here so that CalibreBox can find them based on the information in the database, else any download attempts for these files will fail just as if they were missing.

In conclusion everything should work relatively well if you set up SyncBackPro to automatically keep the database file and your selected author folders up to date
Hofferic is offline   Reply With Quote