View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Well... for non-DRM'd epub files, you can download with Linux and use almost any reader to view them, but for DRM'd epubs you have to use ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) which pretty much requires Windows or Mac. I haven't heard of ADE running under Wine, but my info may be incorrect.

As for virtualization, there are several software packages that can handle it. I have Windows XP running in VMware Workstation, but you should also be able to use VMware Server, which is free. You can then use the Sony Reader software, which sucks IMHO, or ADE to buy any DRM'd ebook. Then use ineptepub (Google it) to strip the DRM and transfer to Calibre. That's what I do, no problems.

Hope this helps.

Update: I just checked and see that Crossover Linux by Codeweavers can run ADE. I have it, but never thought to check if it works

I'll try to get things working some time this week and get back with my results. I can't ditch XP completely due to work, but if this works, I'll have one fewer thing I need it for

Last edited by animedude01; 04-05-2010 at 12:01 AM.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote