View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Re the line-height, don't get me started. A construct that should be completely banned from epubs for the utter stupidity with which they are frequently overused to the detriment of allowing the epub to be displayed under the control of the ereader device defaults. I already floated the idea of having it as an option for this plugin on the development thread for it not so long ago.

However there are two edge cases I am aware of/was reminded of where arguably they appear to be "needed" - one is when you have dropcaps on an opening paragraph (or else you get a slight additional margin under the first line). The other is for some particular embedded fonts which otherwise will leave the lines too spaced out (unless you remove the font-family).

So in 99.9% of cases they can and should be removed, but the virtually impossible to automatically detect edge cases put it in the same bucket as indents, margins, justification, font families and font sizes as crap that we have to manually manipulate on every frigging epub because there is no standard for styles and the overly complex flexibility offered with css/html.
For the line-height, all we do is let the buyer beware and if it makes a problem, so be it. I would not mind taking the risk. Besides, the ePub can be viewed ahead of time to check. Besides, if I need line-height, it's not what the publisher puts in and were it's put in. I only use line-height wen a font used is too spaced apart. For the dropcaps, if the CSS style has the words drop and/or cap in it, don't remove the line height as that is usually correct to leave it in.

As for the text-indent, do you think that can be done using my idea?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote