View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Let's compare that Folio with the MacBook Air. They both have 13 inch display, 4GB RAM, and 128GB internal flash storage. The Folio's display has less resolution, its Intel i5 processor is 2 GHz slower, it has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 compared to Intel HD Graphics 4000, and it weighs about 0.3 pounds more. But the Folio is $100 cheaper base price, has more ports and slots, has better battery time until recharge, and comes with optical drive. Optical drive for the MacBook Air is an external option (called Superdrive) for an extra $79, which to be fair would add about 0.8 pounds (including USB cable) to the MacBook Air's weight, making the Folio lighter overall by 0.5 pounds if the user wants an optical drive.
Given the basis of your comparison, your figures are of course absolutely correct, but I think you need to ask what she's going to use a laptop for. I suspect the answer is that it will be used almost exclusively for web browsing, e-mail, and word processing, and for those tasks you don't need a high-end machine; any low-spec laptop will do absolutely fine. Of course it's nice to have a top-end laptop, and if she has the money, then it would be a nice thing to have; I was simply trying to point out a potential way of saving money.

Eg, A Dell Inspiron 14R (I'm very partial to Dell myself) has a 14" screen, a dual-core Intel i3 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, costs $499, and I'm sure would do everything that she required.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-14-2012 at 11:14 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote