View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Actually, it's established authors who already have a following who are most likely to succeed at this kind of self-publishing. They have the benefit of an audience looking for their work.

Unlike most indie authors, Neal Asher has pretty much guaranteed a certain number of pre-sales on anything he writes.
That's true, but the interesting part will be to see how the sales compare with those from his traditional publisher. The percentage of sales he generates through these direct sales are much higher than from the traditional publisher (per unit).

Since there's no massive marketing etc. it would be interesting to see how it fares. I know he's a couple of books ahead of his contract with the publisher. So if this works out to be viable I think it might be a good incentive for him to work on some more novellas or short story collections.

I don't know how Amazon's sales ranking compare to sales numbers but for Amazon.co.uk this ebook went from #3900 to #452. On Amazon.com it went from #38 680 to #4 670. I guess that's all the pre-sales in action!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote