View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
However, I'd like to give a message to the person who came up with the title of the collections ("Dude Care"): the books largely have to do with the business world and other things that were traditionally the near-exclusive domain of men. For the most part, they aren't now.

[snip]

I'm not one who thinks much of the whole Political Correctness thing. But, the title "Dude Care" struck me as being sexist. I'm going to take the high road here and just assume that you used "dude care" because there is no female counterpart to "dude" (like "dudess") that you could have used.
Well, you might be interested to know that they changed the copy (and the logo, which used to be a Mars symbol with a + in it) to something more neutral (literally, in the case of the symbol, which is now a non-gendered circle) and inclusive. The first paragraph of the selling blurb now reads:

Quote:
Dude, where's my care? Self-care isn't just essential oils, a good cocktail, and reading in the bath… although those things are pretty great. Whether you're a dude, a dudette, or anyone in between, these ebooks from our friends at Callisto will give you great self-improvement ideas for the New Year. So dudes: take some time for yourself! Barbecue a juicy steak, mix a stiff drink, and sit back with an ebook to ponder the philosophical questions of life. If you munch on some "special" mac & cheese at the same time, we won't judge.
So probably a bunch of other people wrote in to HB with your same complaint.

Incidentally, if anyone was wondering, the four pop-reference books in the bundle are pretty decent accessible overviews of basics and important highlights of their subject fields, and IMHO, probably worth it if you'd like a nice, easy intro to stuff.

The sushi cookbook is also pleasantly informative and easy to use (they took advantage of the ebook format to hyperlink recipes that were used by other recipes, which is a nice touch), and it and the Philosophy intro are available at the $1 tier.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote