View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #94
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
As to the Wizards vs. Tech thing.

There does seem to be a few minor inconsistencies when it comes to what does and doesn't work but mostly it works quite well for me.

I think some of that is explained in later books and at least one of the shorts, but most of what we know comes from Word of Jims (questions answered by Jim during Interviews or book signings) so I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
- Only mortal magic users affect tech that way, Faeries and other supernatural beings don't have those problems. Apparently that's because humans are conflicted beings (due to having free will?) and are always "leaking" part of their magic.
- It's not equally bad for every magic user. Generally the more power someone has the more problems he/she has with modern devices. Harry is therefore an especially bad case.
- More complex things are more likely to fail, (micro)electronics are the worst.
- The mood of the wizard affects this. Angry Harry -> fried electronics
- It is somewhat possible to control it. You can suppress it, for some time at least, and it seems pretty easy to amplify it.
- It wasn't always like it is now. In "ye olde times" wizards made milk go sour for example.
Thank you for posting that. I can move past it now... and accept it for what it is -> Angry Powerful Harry = Boom!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote