View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #65
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Interesting comment. With Kobo, I just sync the book from my Kobo library to my ereader. I do have to use ADE if I download a DRMed ebook to my computer but currently about 30% of the ebooks I purchase from Kobo are DRMed. My purchases from Amazon are 50% DRMed. In either case, Calibre and Apprentice Alf take care of the issue.

Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, why do you insist on referring to Sony? They've been out of the ebook business for years now. Or is that a typo and you meant Adobe? Not neccesary if you are using the Kobo desktop application since you refer to needing obok.
If you look at my next post, I acknowledged that I erred when I said "Sony". I actually meant Adobe. I do not have, and do not wish to have, an account with Adobe.

Quote:
No real difference between purchasing on a Kindle or purchasing on a Kobo unless you want to get into the argument that downloading over 3G is superior to downloading over WiFi. For either device, you appear to need a WiFi connection to browse the store. No need to worry about DRM.
I never mentioned buying from the device. I buy from my PC. I'm also not sure why you think that a person can't browse the Kindle store over 3G--as far as I know, the Kindle store and wikipedia can both be accessed over 3G, unless something has changed recently.
Quote:
Why would you need the obok plugin unless you are planning to convert the downloaded book to another format after downloading it using the Kobo desktop application. Given the insistence you have on using your computer, browse for, purchase and download the ebook from Kobo to your computer using your computer's web browser. This will involve ADE for DRMed epubs but non-DRMed epubs will download directly.
Did you read what I wrote? I explicitly said that I buy DRM free books from Kobo. As for using ADE to remove DRM from books, again, I will not create an account with Adobe.
Quote:
Care to name a country other than the US where you can borrow a Kindle format ebook from a public library? Given that Overdrive does not have a presence in all countries, it follows that Kobo will not be able to use Overdrive integration in all countries but quite a few more countries where Overdrive has a presence -- 60 or so at the last count I've seen which gives Kobo a distinct advantage in that arena.
Again...you just aren't reading what I wrote. I explicitly said "since I'm in the US". I know that Overdrive doesn't work for Kindle in other countries, which is why I said that. One of the things that I was addressing was the fact that on a Kindle in the US, library books go to the device automatically, without needing to be downloaded to a computer first. The Aura One can do that, but not in all countries, and you HAVE to have an Aura One registered to the account in order for it to work. By the way...unless something has changed, the Overdrive sync doesn't work in all countries, even if Overdrive is available in that country.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote