View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I don't know how "serious" the buyers are, but I do believe that B&N's problems begin and end with Riggio and if B&N had the right person in true charge, B&N would be very successful. B&N's problem is incompetent management.

Consider one example. I made this suggestion to Riggio and his executive staff several times over the past few years and it is still (supposedly) under consideration. It should have been implemented in weeks. There are many members who buy books regularly and even preorder books. Conversely, there are many members who do neither. But B&N has records of every purchase made by a member. What it should do, and doesn't do, is as soon as a book is listed as being preorderable, an email should go out to a member who has previously bought a book by that author saying that the next book is coming and you can preorder it by clicking here. B&N guarantees that as a member you will get at least a 20% discount and if the book is offered for a greater discount at anytime through the day of release, you will automatically get that lower price.

It's a simple thing to code (relatively speaking) and a smart move because preorders are generally guaranteed sales. Plus if the preorders are large enough a larger discount may be negotiable from the publisher. But B&N has not done this.

I have suggested many things that could increase sales but none have gotten further than "it will be considered".

It's poor management that is killing B&N. There is a great deal of potential will a little imagination. Not everyone is enamored with Amazon and ebooks are not the majority of the marketplace.
Yes, there is a brilliant business who could turn B&N around. (For example, Jeff Bezos could do it.)

But I can also tell you at least two things about this person. The first is that they can make a lot more money in just about any other company (where they don't have to deal with B&N's board). The second is that this person already approached B&N about becoming CEO, and was rejected.

No, the only people interested in buying B&N at this point are corporate raiders like this guy:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...s-taxidermist/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote