View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
LDBoblo, I had such a thing as an ebook and it was a disaster. Any of the pages that did not scan as clearly (e.g. because of callout boxes or other layout issues) could not be searched so it was hard to go back and find something later. And it was DRMd up the wazoo---you couldn't cut and paste even a single word or line to cite in an essay, or download to a mobile device, or anything. Huge waste of money. And it is from the same company they mention in the article

But thinking back to all the classical literature I had to read for my English degree back in the dinosaur days of 1997, I could have saved an absolute fortune if I had an ebook reader then. My Norton Shakespeare alone would have paid for half a Sony Reader. Probably 60% of my course readings were public domain, and of the remaining 40%, at least half of those are modern novels which by now would be in buyable ebook editions. Might not be the best solution for, say, an engineering major. But a literature major like me, it would have been amazing.
A ebook reader would have saved me a fortune while I was doing my French / Italian degree! We read a lot of public domain books as well then, (Back in the dinosaur days of '99) and some of it could get pricey. As it is, my reader is saving me a lot of money now that I am doing my masters in Classical philology - 99 % of what I read is public domain.
On a side note, I had a friend who attended the secondary school mentioned in the article. I would love to see this implemented in other schools as well, I think it is fantastic.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote