View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #26
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
A few points:
  • "To Onyx: Stop using e-Ink! Use ClearInk instead!" certainly appears to be treating CI as a "product" (available for immediate implementation), not a "technology" (that needs further development), so I can hardly be faulted for addressing CI in that context.
  • Clearink uses both Electrophoretic technology (similar to eInk), and a TFT (same as LCD). It therefore cannot be assumed that this combination can achieve the same resolutions as simple TFT/LCD. The commenter from the original thread that noted the 106ppi, also stated "And in all the videos posted, nobody once asks what the hardware limitation is concerning resolution. I am sure they can probably get better, but it is still optical micro lenses." (I would also point out that the CI website does a very poor job of explaining how their technology achieves color.)
  • How many years, and how many tens of millions of dollars does it take to get a technology from 106ppi to 300ppi, even assuming that the market stands still in the mean time?
  • I would note that the CI website seems to be very light (entirely lacking?) on technical specifications of their technology. This makes it rather hard to track whether, and how fast, it is improving its specs. It also makes me wonder how far beyond vaporware it has actually gotten.
  • Amazon already has a color reflective display technology: Liquavista, which they may be in the process of shutting down. If even a technology backed by such heavyweights as first Philips and then Samsung and then Amazon has trouble making headway, then I'd suggest that an independent startup without such backing, that is most probably years from producing a competitive product, is likely to struggle.
  • In terms of 'immediate mass production', what are the likely uses the US Army would have for a low-resolution color display? The most obvious uses for a color display would be map-reading and satellite/aerial surveillance feeds -- but that would likely require higher resolution.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote