View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraxehandle View Post
I still don't understand why so many people use forums as a kind of wiki (I think of XDA in particular.) It seems strange to me, given how many great wiki-type tools are out there.Does MobileRead or Calibre have a wiki space that can be used?
Welcome to MobileRead Forums.

MobileRead Wiki Main Page, links to ebooks, libraries, stores, and information on devices, readers, tools, and formats.

There is a calibre article on MobileRead wiki. AFAIK nothing prevents there being other calibre wiki pages with different focus or content.

These are some reasons this document is here:
  1. It is still under development, being added to and refined, with rapid revisions.
  2. Feedback spurs that along.
  3. I want to keep control of the edits. AFAIK, any registered user can edit a wiki article. I might be wrong because I never contributed to a wiki before, and don't know specifics of that process.
  4. The focus, as currently written and structured, is on how "I" manage ebooks with calibre, my needs, strategy, workflow, configs, and settings and how they interrelate. Not necessarily on how other people manage ebooks with calibre, which is usually different for each person. (General discussion of what other users do is mostly for context or contrast. Any discussion of methods to choose from is usually for context or contrast, and/or workflow contingencies.)
  5. I suspect most of the people reading this in a calibre forum are more calibre-focused than a broader group reading it as a wiki article.

If I'm wrong about anything in that reasoning, anybody, please let me know.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-04-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote