View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #23189
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
We're not going to move in right after that. We're probably going to move to a cheap apartment very close by, so we have at least some comfort (like running water and electricity ) but we can still work in our house in the evenings.
There is no doubt that living in the shell isn't luxurious. After I put up the walls and roof, I immediately put in the kitchen sink and bathroom features so we would have that, and had the electric company run a main line from the pole into the house. I added a couple of 'quick' lines around the house so that there would be places to plug in the power tools without running long extension cords, but then we moved in. It was messy!

Quote:
My father who build their current home himself (even the shell) told us it will take at least a year after the shell has been put up before the house is habitable.
It was at least that long, if not longer before we were actually finished. But we use wood tongue-and-groove (knotty cedar) for the living room walls and ceiling, and a few other walls around the house, and they took time to put up and oil. Each plank had to be put up separately. Sheetrock would have been a lot faster!

Quote:
It's ridiculously expensive, and because the groundwater in our area is pretty close to the surface we'd have to have a special kind of basement. We're just using the standard strip foundation.
That was my concern. I thought it was somewhat lower land in Belgium, but then I realized I was thinking of Holland instead.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote