View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I can certainly see why there should be a growing market for short fiction, it seems an ideal medium for mobile phone readers and readers with a hectic live style.

I used to read a lot of short fiction when I was younger, especially when I was an avid fan of science-fiction; so much sci-fi, back then anyway, was really about a single idea and short fiction was the ideal way to carry it. Too many tried to write novels based on that single idea, a longer work needs more to it, and I suspect that's why I slowly moved over to mainly fantasy - the longer the better. (This isn't some sort of criticism of current sci-fi, I really don't read enough of it to judge.)

I still sometimes read collections of short fiction, but mainly as time fillers, and I generally come away feeling unsatisfied. There are exceptions, but I find it's rare that writers get it exactly right. Really good short fiction is, I think, a very special talent; it's not just that story is short, but that it really is a complete and perfectly expressed idea; it seems to me that there is even more pressure on every single word to be exactly right. (Okay, so I haven't described that well, I'm no good at short ).

I have written some short "historical" stories behind my current fantasy project, but they would be mostly meaningless without the context of the larger work to support them. If I ever get around to publishing, they are the sort of thing I might consider cleaning up to put on the website for "fans" - if I ever get any.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote