View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #319
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
That is why most publishers use DRM, and most if not all significant authors agree to it.
I think it' correct and significant that you said most authors "agree to it."
If the publishers said "we won't publish your book unless you wear red shoes" and most authors said "what the heck" and put on red shoes, it doesn't necessarily mean they think red shoes are a good policy or are helping their sales, other then the by the fact that they simply wouldn't have been published if not for it.

I think with lack of any evidence of how DRM actually increases profit over nonDRM, that is as likely the case with DRM as not. SOME authors (like you, and few high profile folk) have indeed spoken out that they do think DRM is good for them, but others (JKR, et al) have clearly not agreed.

While I am a writer, and do produce some commercial IP of other sorts, it's true I do not make my living as an author, so I can't speak as an author, but the value of DRM is not dependent on what other authors think. Authors are not primarily selling to other authors. It's what the people clicking the "buy" button think that matters.

And thanks for the K. I've enjoyed this thread.

ApK