View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I still love my DR, however after having had it for almost a year and having broken it and now having to buy the new one from Astak.

I have the DR to read Microsoft text books. I have to commute to and from work on the bus. On a crowded bus, I couldn't bring out the DR and when I could, by the time it had booted up and I'd clicked into the book I was reading, I'd have enough time to read 2/3 pages before I arrived at work.

This last couple of days using the Pocket Pro, I am able to pull it out on a crowded bus. I just press the power button to release it from its barely power draining keys locked state (yes REAL keys). I was able to consistently and clearly read 10 or more pages in PDF reflowed mode, with readble diagrams, on the bus.

Plus I could put it back into its key locked mode and pick it up throughout the day in ways that the DR's slow boot up time, lack of suspend and inability to reopen into the document you were reading last made just casual reading unfeasible a lot of the time. I'm actually powering through my current textbook in a way that I have never been able to do with the DR thanks to its various power and feature related limitations.

Also the lack of the PP's ability to open and keep open 4 documents is rendered irrelevant by the PP's main 8 long recently opened document list and lightning fast open times to the last page and state each document was open with.

It's great to be able to open one document and view that in landscape and close that and open another and view it in portrait and then close that and reopen the landscape document. No need to rotate the entire device!

Just saying that I'm shocked that this £150 device is proving incredibly more usable than I was expecting compared to my £400+ (forgot how much I paid) device.

The larger screen, better resolution and greyscale remains main reasons to buy the DR, but one of the reasons I bought it for, the writing ability, never proved a viable replacement for paper.

I still want my DR back from insurance replacement. I just am surprised that how little I'm missing it now I have the Astak.

Last edited by omro; 12-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote