View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
good advice from paul durrant ; the more style markup you can move to the css the better. that said, things like italics are usually okay to leave in the text, although some people define them as a style as well.
I understand. I think that pdurrant is correct here, too: that emphasis he pointed out is really about presentation and design on the part of the book publisher -- I doubt that ERB underlined the first word of every chapter, although it's possible.

Going forward, I'm going to try to separate design and presentation from communication and intent of the author as near as I can determine -- and let's not get into communication theory! That would mean that <em> and <strong> would remain in the body of the text where an author would seem to want it, for emphasis say, or for telepathic communication about Awful Truths That Must Remain Unspoken!. Or for foreign words, etc.

Quote:
another quick tip about css to make it shorter : when you are defining a property which has 4 possible measurements (like a margin), if they are all the same, you can just write the measurement one time, and it will be applied to all sides. if the measurement is 0, no need to specify units (em, px, etc.), you can just write : "margin: 0;"

if you are using the same measure for left and right and another meausure for top and bottom you can specify only 2 measures. the order is Top Right Bottom Left (spells TRouBLe) or Top (+ bottom) Right (+left), so for instance "margin : 0 1em;" will give a margin of 0 on the top and bottom, and 1em on the left and right.
I've clipped that and stuck it in my notes manager -- the more cool tips I get, the bigger that file will be!

I think I'll take a first swing at CSS today, after re-reading the w3school tutorial.

Thanks for helping!

m a r

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 07-15-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: cleaned up mistakes
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote