View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
The 30,000 eBooks limit is exactly the sort of commercial lie I hate; this figure has been calculated this way: a 32 Mb SD-card can contain 32 MB, that is nearly 30,000 x 1 Mb e-book files!
But the Kobo is absolutely unable to parse as many files, and it has no room for as many books: for any book cover, it creates monochrome copies of the cover that often need about 200 KB for each book in the /.kobo/pictures/ directory. For 30,000 books the Kobo would need 6,000,000,000 bytes of main memory (6 GB).
That was for sure true for the older (1.9.x) firmware, but you would run with these into other problems way earlier since each subdirectory can just hold 7500 (or so) files, and Kobo stored up to 5(!) pictures per book.
With 2.0 it just creates the pictures it really needs, on the fly.
To reach the 7500 files limit you somehow have to create all these pictures (e.g. by stepping through the library).
But since Kobo creates them when needed you even can manually delete ALL pictures from time to time, and I am not sure if they even implemented another step that does that for you in case a picture can not be created.

With 2.0 Kobo can keep 30000 books. It probably cannot store pictures of all 30000 at once, but I don't think you will stumble accross a non-exeisting picture anymore.

And for the cards, I still think the key is the correct formatting of the SD card.
It has to be a linux partioning.
I could not get my 8GB card to work at all, I tried different programs (SD formatter and some other partioning software) to format the card, Kobo would not recognize it.
Then I formatted it with my Blackberry, and I have no problems with that card at all anymore.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote