View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I seem to remember that the Nook is based on the Android platform.
Loosely based. Android is "under the hood" of the Nook HD, but the user experience/interface has been designed by B&N, and your experience with an "Android-based" Nook HD is not going to be anything like your experience with your existing Asus Transformer running Android.

Quote:
I have an Asus Transformer and, like the iPad, it's big and heavy and my hands get very tired of holding it when I am trying to read which is why I'm looking for something smaller.
Device weight is the first thing I look at, and in my book, once a 7" tablet reaches 11 ounces, it's starting to get a little piggy, and had better have a nice personality to compensate.

The Nook HD and iPad mini are two of the lightest-weight 7" devices you can get, short of illegally importing one of those Japanese ones made by NEC, or sacrificing important features. The original iPads were about a pound and a half! Even the original Nook Color closes in at about 14 or 15 ounces. Too heavy for me, too. (And the weight is the sole complaint my husband has about his original Nook Color).

Fast forward to today, and according to B&N, the weight of the new 7" Nook HD is 315grams, or 11.1 ounces. That's noticeable, and sweet. The iPad mini is 308grams (WiFi only) or 312grams (Wifi+Cellular).

Those are dreamy numbers, and if I were in the market for a new toy, my credit card would be in danger. I realize the Nook HD lacks (for example) a camera, and reviews have complained of a certain sluggishness, but at that price, screen resolution, and weight, I'd be personally be all over it, if I used a Nook at all.

For the 16GB models, the price war is $229 for the Nook HD, and $329 for the iPad mini w WiFi.

There's a lot more to be said about both of these items, but I just always enjoy screaming: "Under 300 grams! Under 300 grams, damnit!!"
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote