View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think it is fabulous that she wants/has an ebook reader at her age. When I was 14, my dream was a bookstore the size of a shopping mall. They have those now. And the idea that I could download all of the books in this shopping mall and carry them around in my pocket would have been a dream come true.

I use the text to speech and and dictionary features of my Kindle a lot. I am not a huge music person so I use text to speech to read while I walk, either at the gym or when commuting, instead of listening to music on an ipod. And I use the dictionary feature when I read in French. Other than a lack of those two features, my Sony was perfectly fine, my Libre (my current back-up reader on which I keep a slightly different set of content) is fine, and the Kobo I got my mom is fine. They are all perfectly adequate and I bet she'd be happy with any of them, so you may consider selling it and buying a cheaper model if the Kindle doesn't have features you absolutely need. As I said, my mother readers were perfectly fine---except for the lack of the two features it happens the Kindle had, which I wanted.

I would be very curious for you to share some of your book list with us. I enjoy YA books and would love to know which classics your 14-year-old enjoys.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote