View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #91
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
BookCat, definitely try the free trial version and run through their training document. It is the same as the paid version and the only restriction is launching it for, I believe, 30 days (not necessarily consecutive, just 30 separate days of use!). Search for a coupon code on-line. I finally decided to buy it last night and only paid $32 ($8 off).

The advantages I see versus Word are several levels of attached notes and tags. I got something similar using OneNote with Word but Scrivener is better integrated (if less flexible, I will probably still use OneNote to accumulate research notes). Word's own notes and in-line annotations are also a bit clunkier than Scrivener's.

You mention outline mode in Word. That works great as long as you use Styles consistently. You get outline mode in Scrivener along with corkboard mode. Outline mode in Scrivener allows a customizable list of attributes to show along with the outline text itself. It is hard to describe. The way the software works is quite a bit different than Word (all the way down to never having to use a Save command). I'm a little concerned it may cause premature wear to the SSD drive in my writing laptop (much more 'disk activity' than Word) but we'll see.

Last edited by Penforhire; 06-01-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote