View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You say well known; guess what... I have NEVER heard of that and I do read all posts in the Kobo forum here....
You are right, I wrote about this on Kindle forum and nobody really paid attention so I was under impression that it is like telling that the sky is blue

To make it official I now tell how appalled I am with the current state of e-book format rendering. I understand that many traditional print finesses are unnecessary or impossible in e-readers due to freely selectable font size or screen area changes, or limitations due to memory and processor constraints of e-readers. However, there are many simple and critical features that are being ignored by current ebook moguls. Centered block text is one of them, another is "keep x lines together". I won't go into details for better indexing and dictionary support.

As a historic note, PostScript language, pdf predecessor, that enabled precise rendering of electronic data for printing was released in 1982 when most people had no idea what a computer looks like. So, what is the problem of current IT companies to develop a decent product?

As for publishers, current e-reader limitations is not an excuse for extremely sloppy formatting and proofreading I have encountered in some books. I give a leeway to self-published authors who don't know the difference between hyphen and en-dash when these books are appropriately priced. They will learn proper formatting with time. But paying more than $10 or $15 for e-book, in fact sometimes more than for a paperback version, only to discover that it lacks some important features or one third of the book is a useless index, or non-corrected OCR mistakes like 1 instead of I, is unacceptable.

It is even more shocking that such books are coming from respectable publishers like Penguin Publishing and others. Are they predicting their forthcoming demise in e-book age, so they no longer care about their reputation and rush to make a quick buck in their remaining time?
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote