View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
OK, it seems like we're a bit short of nominations, still, so I think I'll go ahead and nominate Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
God only knows what possessed Bill Bryson, a reluctant adventurer if ever there was one, to undertake a gruelling hike along the world's longest continuous footpath—The Appalachian Trail.

The 2,000-plus-mile trail winds through 14 states, stretching along the east coast of the United States, from Georgia to Maine. It snakes through some of the wildest and most spectacular landscapes in North America, as well as through some of its most poverty-stricken and primitive backwoods areas.

With his offbeat sensibility, his eye for the absurd, and his laugh-out-loud sense of humour, Bryson recounts his confrontations with nature at its most uncompromising over his five-month journey.

An instant classic, riotously funny, A Walk in the Woods will add a whole new audience to the legions of Bill Bryson fans.
320 Pages
Overdrive

AmazonUS -- $7.99
AmazonCA -- $9.99
AmazonUK -- £5.49
AmazonAU -- $12.99

Audible -- 1 Audible Credit
Goodreads

This book is a mostly factual account of Bill Bryson's quest to walk the entire Appalachian Trail. It's certainly appropriate for our theme this month, and I found it an excellent read and quite funny. (For those not familiar with the Appalachian Trail, it's a somewhat managed trail of some 2,100-miles that stretches from Georgia to Maine all along the eastern mountain ranges of the US. A daunting task for even a hardened hiker.)

Even though I read this a few years ago, I'd be happy to read it again with a chance to discuss.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote