View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
My Kindle isn't being recognized by my desktop... will try that on my laptop later.

On a side note, I have found a way to purchase books through Amazon.com's site without a US credit card. While I'll still continue messing with the DRM (as I still have to fix 3 of the 4 books I bought off of ebooks.com - I say 3 because I just re-bought one from Amazon's site), I'm happy to have found a method that will allow me to easily add to my collection without a huge process.
Well, it was a long time ago when I started buying .lit at amazon, mainly because i have a program that would un-drm it. Then found out amazon stop selling .lit and my library gone. Lucky I have un-drm-ed copies inside my pc.
I don't blame the publisher for the DRM mindset. Like it or not, writers need to be protected for the works they do. And it's not only sharing that they want to protect. I've seen printed pirated books in countries where they publish a certain title and sell them on par with the original, authorized, publisher-paid-the-writer edition. So it's understandable that a certain level of protection is applied to the ebooks.
Having said that, I'm now with .prc and .ePub format to read on my iPhone (and maybe on my Kindle 2 or Sony soon). I just make sure I have an updated set of python and the required .py(s) for mobi/ade. Say, I buy something from booksonboard or fictionwise, or even ebooks.com (3 stores I buy ebooks from), I need only to go to my C:\Python26 folder in command prompt, and type the appropriate .py commands. Not a hassle, but I can understand it might be a huge process at the beginning. Afterwards, the enjoyment of reading on the device of your own choosing. Priceless...
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote