View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozh View Post
Hey Hitch. On my epub, I have the toc.xhtml AND the toc.ncx (using the <spine toc="ncx">) as a fallback. They are identical, except for the html/xml markup, of course. But I was in doubt which one was being used too, so I did the following, as a test:

- Instead of "Chapter 1", I wrote "Chapter 1 HTML" in the toc.xhtml
- Instead of "Chapter 1", I wrote "Chapter 1 NCX" in the toc.ncx

, zipped as epub and converted it to mobi using kindlegen. So, in the end, the file rendered was the HTML one in all devices I tested (paperwhite and kindle app for android).
YES--this is my experience, too, when using either ePUB3 or files that are not pristine. It uses and displays the toc.html file on the GoTo, not just an ncx-generated "toc."

Quote:
But I think this happens because I'm using epub 3 with the "nav epub:type" markup. This makes the same file (toc.xhtml) to work as the "in book" toc and as the logical (Go To) one. I think the ncx file would be used if the epub 2 were used instead.
Possibly. I'm not sure it's as regulated as we'd hope.

Quote:
From the book ePub3 Best Practices, from Matt Garrish and Markus Gylling (O'Reilly):
Yeah, I know, but the MOBI universe is not the same as the ePUB universe, not entirely.

Quote:
And YES!, Amazon is a weirdo. All the "Navigation Guidelines" section in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines is really frustrating.
Yeah, welcome to my world. :-)

Quote:
About the HTML/CSS I'm using, to be honest, it's not really a big deal. I'm just more comfortable using the HTML5 markup, like section and nav, and I really like the additional structural semantics, so I'm using it from the beginning. All my content.opf file, too, is structured based in the epub 3 spec (no opf: namespace, no opf:scheme attribute, no opf:event, etc). Also, I think it's more well documented too, and I really like the already mentioned book ePub3 Best Practices.

I like to have some CSS3 features available to use if necessary too, like media queries, support to multi-column layout, the nth-child(odd) or nth-child(even) to select alternated elements, and even border-radius. In the end, CSS3 is a great way to reduce the file size by reducing the amount of HTML code necessary.

I know maybe it's not worth it, but this is the way I learned since the beginning and I'm worried I need to change a lot of stuff to go back to epub 2 now. But, well, maybe it's the right thing to do, so...

Thank you very much for your reply!
Hmmm...well, the question is, tho, not whether CSS3 etc. is needed, it's how to address your desired Guide items. I have this sneaking hunch that you might need to try Doitsu's solution--have you? I mean, before we all dive into far more complex solutions? or, hoped-for solutions?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote