View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #38
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
I do like to imagine, however, that writers write what they think is important for them to write (any sales being a fortunate coincidence). From that point of view authors write series because they want to do so. I think the Updike Rabbit novels are a nice example, I don't imagine Updike writing the later books in the series are there just because they'd likely sell.
Well, first of all full time writers need an income just like other people.
Having said that, my remark about readers demanding series leading to series being written is not only pertinent to the monetary aspect of writing.

Rather I think there is also a process of selection going on, just as in nature. The genres and styles (e.g. series) that are successful "reproduce" more (i.e. more books are written and sold in that genre or style) and expand to fill up their environment (to some extent even putting pressure on their "competitors" and driving some towards extinction).

So, I don't think most good writers set out to write series because they think it would sell better but rather that those writers that have an inclination to write series become successful, thus they can make a living at writing full time and thus they can write more series.

Also, some writers write both series (and I include trilogies here) and singletons so it's just what the story demands.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote