View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. Not all of us need to have Latin translated for us. .
I do not a read Latin and the years have not helped. These days I'm more or less lost after we get past Cesar's famous line, "I came. I saw. She conquered."

While to know Latin was the norm a hundred years ago, it was not taught in any school I attended prior to the university. Even there it was limited in its value as it did not count toward completion of the foreign language requirement. Likewise, Hebrew did not count toward the foreign language requirement.

To include the Latin translations makes the book accessible for others who have not studied Latin. While it looked great, your posting of Howard's She would have been useless for me if the Greek had not been translated within the text.

So please be kind to us non-English language challenged readers.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote