View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Nook vs Kobo purely as reader

Hello,
I am looking at a cheap reader and the three that are cheapest (and have e-ink) are the Nook, the Kobo, and the Sony Pocket. Originally I planned to get the Sony, but with the Kobo being lighter than the Sony and the Nook having so many more features, it is really hard to take the Sony seriously, with its lesser screen size and smaller memory.

As such, I have narrowed my search down to the Nook and Kobo. I don't care much about the wifi and music features of the Nook. What I care about is the actual reading experience once looking at a book. I've never owned an e-reader (I've used a PDA), but these seem to be the most important factors:

1) Quality of text
2) Speed of page turning
3) Stability
4) Ergonomics
5) Compatibility with files from different locations
6) Battery life
7) Weight
8) Durability
9) Reliability
10) Customer Service
11) Compatibility with Linux (my primary OS)

While I have seen some complaints/comparisons of these, I'd love more feedback, especially since some of the software/firmware updates on these machines may have impacted these factors. Again, the other features of the Nook aren't an issue, and I am aware that on a purely price basis, those features make the Nook a better deal. What I care about is how happy I'll be when reading!
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote