View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #71
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Please can you tell me how to reverse the effect of running the plugin. In other words how do I take all the folders it has made, with their files, and turn it all back into one mobi file? I need mobi-pack.

The reason is that I have used mobi-unpack to investigate what the Amazon InDesign plugin is doing wrong with its KF8 version. I have now pretty much worked this out, to correct it involves some manual edits to the styles. So I need to be able to take the mobi7 and mobi8 folders, which contain the two versions, and put them together again.

I do have some worries about what I'm doing. I can make the KF8 mobi file from the mobi8 folder contents and it is now OK. But the top level of that folder contains an epub file, so I'm hoping that KDP don't use that, as it will still be wrong. Also they put a file called kindlegensrc.zip in there, and I'm wondering if I really need to give that to kdp. If so I would have to fix the css file in there too. The problem is that I don't know what the KDP system actually does when given the combined mobi with its three versions. The kindlegensrc version seems to relate only to the mobi8 folder which contains the KF8 version. Perhaps it is just there for debugging purposes.

When submitting a handmade mobi file to kdp, when that is a KF8 submission, are people supposed to also submit the separate old format file as well, as in the generated mobi I showed you? Or does KDP create the old version automatically from the KF8 version? (If this is the case I don't need to pack it all back together, I can simply upload my new KF8 mobi file).

Sorry to ask these questions here, as they are straying from simply packing and unpacking, none of this seems to be made clear enough by Amazon.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote