View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
Victoria
Guru
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW 4, iphone 7
I nominate The Man Who Knew Infinityby Robert Kanigel.

A moving and enlightening look at the unbelievable true story of how gifted prodigy Ramanujan stunned the scholars of Cambridge University and revolutionized mathematics.

In 1913, a young unschooled Indian clerk wrote a letter to G H Hardy, begging the preeminent English mathematician's opinion on several ideas he had about numbers. Realizing the letter was the work of a genius, Hardy arranged for Srinivasa Ramanujan to come to England.

Thus began one of the most improbable and productive collaborations ever chronicled. With a passion for rich and evocative detail, Robert Kanigel takes us from the temples and slums of Madras to the courts and chapels of Cambridge University........In time, Ramanujan's creative intensity took its toll: he died at the age of thirty-two, but left behind a magical and inspired legacy that is still being plumbed for its secrets today.

I find Ramanujan‘s gifts quite fascinating, so have this on my tbr list. Apparently he was a devout man, and the juxtaposition of his culture with Hardys could be interesting to discuss.

Kobo: Au: $13; UK: 4; US: $13; CA: $10
Kindle: US:$9; CA: $10; AU: $13; UK 8 There’s also an Audible book.

Last edited by Victoria; 06-02-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote