View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been noticed, a new firmware version has been released. This should be going to all devices except the Mini. And it should be being rolled out gradually to different affiliates.

The release notes give the big items. The two to comment on are:

Parental controls
This is on the Accounts page of the settings. When you turn this on, you will be prompted for PIN to turn it off later. When enabled, it most of the methods to access the net. This includes the shop, Pocket and the browser. It doesn't completely disable networking as book can still be synced. When Parental Controls are turned on, there is an extra icon in the top menu bar. Tapping this shows the status and a menu item to access the Accounts page.

One thing that is turned off that I do not like is reading stats. The Activity page is not available and cannot see the overall stats for the current book and reading on the device. The in-book stats for kepubs are still available.

Indented table of contents
The ToC page will now show indentation for nested ToC entries. This will work for epubs and kepubs. I haven't tried other formats, but it requires the book to have nested ToC entries.

One thing is that for epubs, indentation will not be shown for books already on the device. The ToC indentation is based on data read when the book is imported to the device. This was not read from epubs in the past. You will need to remove and resideload your epubs to see the indentation. For kepubs, this was already being read, so the indentation should be seen for all epubs.

MOBI Reading position
Remembering the reading position in MOBI books has been fixed. But, the current status will still show as 1%.

Other fixes I know of:
  • Tracking of the current chapter for kepubs as displayed on the navigation bar has been improved for books missing ToC entries. This was recently discussed in the 4.14.12777 thread. The change is that if the correct chapter name is displayed if the current chapter has a ToC entry. But, if there is no ToC entry, the name for the previous chapter will be displayed.
  • In CBR/CBZ, the back button on the navigation bar now works correctly.
  • Changing the light level using the sideswipe updates the level shown in the light popup. (Noticed be @the.Mtn.Man.)

If I remember anything else, I will add it.

calibre
There are no changes in the firmware that affect calibre's interaction with the device. I will update the driver to recognize the new firmware version. It should be in the next calibre release. But, until then, it is completely safe to enable the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver.

Calibe version 3.44 has been released with support for firmware 4.14.12920.

Last edited by davidfor; 06-18-2019 at 12:19 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote