View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
In The Beginning There Is The Download!!!

Q: What is Sigil?
A: Sigil is a WYSIWYG eBook editor. It is designed to edit books in ePub format.

Q: Why would I use Sigil?
A: You are tired of poorly formatted eBooks that don't do the book you are reading justice. You want your eBooks to feel and look like the real deal! You want to customize your reading experience! So many reasons, so little time!

Q: Okay, you sold me, where can I get Sigil?
A: Right here!

Q: Is it available on my OS?
A: Sigil is available for download and installation on Windows, Mac & Linux.

Q: I have downloaded the install files and now i have to install, help me?
A: Of course, Sigils creator has graciously provided us with these instructions.

Q: What is an ePub?
A: ePub is an open format defined by the Open eBook Forum of the International Digital Publishing Forum. It is based on XHTML and XML along with optional style sheets.

Q: What is .SGF then?
A: .SGF is the file type native to Sigil. It is used to save the data of your book as you edit it. It's the "working" code dumped raw. Also, it's proprietary to Sigil and shouldn't be used anywhere else.

Q: Why use .SGF and not just save it as an ePub?
A: With SGF, there is no preprocessing. The benefit here is that the user is isolated from the changes that are made when exporting an epub. In the future, when Sigil supports loading and saving of different file formats (RTF, Mobi, LIT, LRF etc... who knows), those formats will conceivably need some specific information recorded that cannot just store in an epub.

Q: So when do I make it an ePub?
A: You can save it as an ePub any time you like. It isn't actually necessary to do so until you are finished your project or want to view your work on your eReader.

Q:
A:

Q:
A:

Last edited by mklynds; 10-25-2009 at 12:58 AM.