View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Wild. I lived in North Bend for 20 years. Frankly, I am surprised anyone there knows what an e-reader is. The (local) newspaper that the story is in was known far and wide for incorrect facts and mis-spellings!

I hope they are getting a deposit on these things. The area is well-supplied with less than sterling individuals (not uncommon anywhere, I suppose) so I would be surprised if some of the devices did not "grow wings" so-to-speak.

It would seem to me that an appropriate approach would be to only allow long-time (maybe 5 years?) library patrons to take these devices out. They would be more likely to be real reading customers and less likely to be just opportunistic thieves. The article has no details about library e-reader policy (typical of this newspaper as well) so who knows?

Of course, if one does steal an e-reader, they can often be rendered less than 100% useful if the thief attempts to connect to the e-book store, but how many potential thieves know this?

Has anyone had an e-reader stolen and, if so, which kind and how did you and the retailer/manufacturer deal with it? It is something I have thought about while travelling with ours.

Last edited by CCDMan; 12-27-2009 at 11:40 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote