View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I read 1984 a few months ago. I found the book fascinating... but a few thoughts occurred to me all the same.

1. Despite claims to the contrary, the Inner Party would inevitably tend toward the stratification that it claims to prevent. Certainly inner party members would ultimately try to take advantage of their status to ensure that their children were also inner party members.. sooner or later, that tension would cause a break in the inner party.

2. Newspeak, while necessary for control of the inner and outer party, would also be the undoing of the system. Right now, the system depended on making sure none of the Proles because smart/strong enough to subvert the system.. But as Newspeak replaces standard English amongst the Party, it would become increasingly hard for the Party to monitor the Proles.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote