View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Technicalities are exactly that, technicalities. Even non-fiction books often over-simplify in order to make things accessible for their readers.

If in doubt, check the dictionary. From dictionary.com for "suck":
Quote:
6. to render or bring to a specified condition by or as if by sucking.
8. to draw or be drawn by or as if by suction.
(Bold mine.) There is a fair bit of wriggle-room in those definitions. So I don't actually see much wrong with: "get sucked into the vacuum of space".

And that's all without getting into the more technical discussion of the difference between suck and blow - which, as already pointed out, is a matter of perspective (and convention) rather than real technical difference.

Yes, there are lots of real errors in sci-fi and in other fiction (people getting thrown around as bullets hit them is always a favourite), but I think a suck vs blow complaint in this context is going beyond picky.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote