View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Frankly, because I think it is utterly nonsense for an author to not allow ebook versions of their work to be distributed.
So, a writer should not be allowed to distribute their work as they see fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf
People who own the paper version have the right to enjoy those books on an ereader. And authors like her should be forced by the market to allow electronic distribution.
Just because I own a paper copy does not give me the right to have it on an ereader unless the author allows for such distribution. Authors will release ebooks when they feel it is in their best interests to do so. Every couple of months I click on the link "Tell the publisher you would like to read this on your Kindle" link for the Harry Potter books. In addition, I have emailed the publisher telling them I would not buy physical books but will buy the ebook version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Bolding by me. Think about it. I hate Harry Potter, but I respect any author's right to negotiate whatever contracts and distribution rights that work best for their own personal needs/wants/whims... nonsensical or otherwise. I don't even care that you've downloaded illegal copies of her work. It's the implication that you should have any say whatsoever in how an author handles their own business that disgusts me. Mind your own.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
As far as the ideological stance, well, the thing about a free market and democracy, is that not everyone has to believe what you do. If someone wants to restrict how they sell something they own, then it is their prerogative. It isn't illegal to not sell in certain formats, but it is illegal to offer up copies of stuff you don't own the rights to.
Agreed.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 06-20-2011 at 01:50 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote