Thread: Aura ONE Aura ONE availability
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #30
Muttly
Enthusiast
Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.Muttly is less competitive than you.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As someone who has worked on a couple of applications for warehouses, I know this happens. Things get misplaced and found later. They get written off when a stocktake doesn't find them. And they have to be handled when they turn up later.
Yes, I understand that it can happen, and accept that it's perfectly fair to speculate that it might have happened. What I have been objecting to is acting as if it is a fact.

Quote:
Didn't you accuse me of suggesting that Kobo of "unethical practices"? Selling devices like this without some testing would definitely be unethical.

And to be clear, I do not think Kobo is unethical.
You made no mention of testing whatsoever until I suggested it would be unethical to sell products that you knew would not work as advertised.

Remember that you said (in the same post):

Quote:
And, the have probably been sitting around long enough that they might have self discharged low enough to trigger the protection circuit to not let them charge.
Quote:
I disagree. These have been off the market long enough that the battery life is likely to be half of the initial life. That is noticeable.
It is a fact that Kobo are selling them, and you had made no mention of testing. Indeed, you did not suggest in either of the two bites of the 'battery's duff' scenarios quoted above, that there was any significant variation in the battery quality.

Hence my suggesting that you had a very low opinion of Kobo.

Quote:
Earlier, you tried to correct me about the battery status. Because, of that, I made the assumption that you knew something about Li-Ion batteries and how they degrade with time. It is a simple fact: as soon a Li-Ion battery is manufactured, it starts aging and losing capacity. How much it loses depends on a lot of things including usage, temperature and how it is stored. The batteries in these devices will be degraded. The question is by how much. That was the point of the warning.
I agree that there will be some small amount of degradation. It was your very strong suggestion that they would either refuse to charge or have lost 50% of their capacity that I objected to.

For the record I also agree that if they have been stored at a very high temperature they will have lost a lot of capacity. That indeed, could happen. What I object to is your (and mglich's - who seems to be singing from exactly the same hymn sheet as yourself), continually posting as if this was likely (mglich seems to post as if it was a virtual certainty, but he's extremely hard to take seriously) to have happened.

What do the pair of you imagine? That each of the warehouses in each of the territories where the Kobo is for sale has a very hot spot, and all the missing cases end up there?
Muttly is offline   Reply With Quote