View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
... it would be good to know whether this is a one off on your device, or whether it is a general issue.
It is difficult to describe the uneven area at the top (and I do not have camera good enough to make a realistic picture of the lit screen in low-light conditions).It is not catastrophic, or too distracting. I had worse impression of the Nook Simple Touch Glow when I saw it on several occasions in N&B stores, and yet, there are lots of very happy NST Glow owners.

You have to understand, that so far there is no perfect light on any of the devices that I have seen in person (or at least on pictures). The majority of the screen on Touch Lux is nice and evenly lit, so the text is nicely readable. I personally prefer to read without the front-light(*) if I can use outside lighting, such as reading lamp. When I have to use the frontlight (even on my PaperWhite) I tend to use as low level as possible. At the low levels, the shadows at the bottom (the same level Paperwhite has) and the uneven area at the top isn't that bad.

I do not think this is problem with only my unit, I have seen a picture on the net with the same problem.
Scroll down on following page:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=40
You have to understand that the picture you find at the above link - at russian PocketBook forum, is exaggerated. I think that this is light running at full power in dimly lit environment, because the un-even area is difficult to photograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Have you thought about returning it?
The other features the reader has are so great - the usual PocketBook goodness - that I am going to keep it.

(*) this was the main reason I purchased the first e-ink device, and my perception of lit screens for reading hasn't changed.
Strange thing is, I spend LOTS of time working and browsing the net on PC, and for that purpose I do not mind the 24 inch LCD monitor.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote