View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzulous View Post
PocketEdge will not charge. LED does not come on unless I press the power cord connector in there really hard and at an angle. Even then, the light just blinks once and that's it.

The PE starts up fine, but of course pretty much immediately tells me to connect the charger.

I removed the cover and unscrewed the board so that I could see if something was loose, but nothing appears off kilter. I connected the power cord, but no better luck than with the cover on. I'm really not comfortable messing about in there.

I don't have a volt meter to check the charger. I assume Radio Shack or Best Buy would have one - if I stopped in, would they test it for me? Assuming that's the problem, would I be able to pick up a compatible universal adapter there? (I know there is another thread regarding universal adapters, so I'll check that out, too.)
There are two things in your favour.
First, you have got to the circuit board.
Second, your PE does run.

What you need to do is get a magnifying glass and inspect the solder joining the power socket to the circuit board - you are looking for a dark line that can appear anywhere, but normally round the metal of the socket
From your description I think you may have a dry solder joint there. If that is the case you will need to resolder the joints so giving you a good contact again.

If you don't feel up to soldering then take your unit along to an electronics repair shop and ask them to do it for you - they can also check the output of your power supply at the same time.

While you have the covers off check the battery connections are not loose.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote