View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #15011
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov last night, the final book of the original Foundation Trilogy. I liked the second half more than the first, and overall, I think I preferred this book to its predecessor, but thought Foundation was the best of the three.

I still don't quite understand why people like them so much. They have an important trailblazing role in the genre, but the quality is just not there. It's a bit like saying Train Arriving at a Station is one of the best movies of all time. (Okay, maybe that's harsh. A better comparison might be a classic silent movie, let's say Modern Times or Metropolis, and while they certainly have their advocates, most people won't get too much out of them now.)
I think your last statement pretty much sums it up. When I first read the trilogy (and that's all there were then,) I couldn't put them down and read all three in a row. Having re-read them many years later, I enjoy them more as the wonderful introduction to the genre that they were for me, rather than great works of Sci-fi. But only because our tastes have evolved. Rather like downloading an episode of "Paladin" or "Sgt. Bilko," being so excited to have them, then watching and wondering what it was that made them such long running hits back in the day. Today they were 'fun,' but not raising enough interest in downloading any more episodes.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote