View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #312
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
If British English is the properly evolved one, then Australians have basically bastardised the language no? ( Aussieland!!)

>> This forum is totally Americanised because it refuses to acknowledge my 's', but I won't change it

This. This discussion reminds me of the (free!) "Evolving English" exhibit I attended at the British Library. The British Library has acknowledged the dialectical evolution of the English language due to geographic distances, why not us?

However, I'd argue that proper English even exists in a Shakespeare play. Look at the number of variations of spelling on Shakespeare's name even! He spelled it differently in all of the 6 signatures that currently exist.

Plus the original prints of his plays that survived till today have different spelling and parts missing and parts added... NONE of which is consistent.

I think it is only in modern times that we care about spelling so much. The printing press has been invented for eons and it is only in recent decades that we are as anal-retentive as to put a red mark against grammar and spelling in a published material.

We forget that the beauty of the English language lies in how we can play around with words to make it seem more impressive than it is.
What is it with these forums... I said "evolution" which in this context means an ongoing process NOT a fixture and not the same as "evolved" and definitely not in opposition to the British Library 'Evolving English' ideas...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote