View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #34
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Other devices made it big using a subscription model. Sell the razor cheap and charge for the blades. What if a company, say Amazon, came out with a continuous subscription model? Say they charge $10 a month and you can have one book loaded at a time (or $12 for 2 at once or...). The price point is arbitrary. I have no idea what the market would bear. They can download a new book and delete the old book at will. Sounds like this Netflix model is something the Kindle might be capable of doing.

A lot of us might balk at never actually owning the books but isn't this a path to financial success? They can lower the reader's price because it is made up by a guaranteed income stream.

My other thought about the market is a bundled sale. I'm not sure how it would go over. What if you offered the reader at a reduced price because you are buying e-book store credit at the same time? For example, $450 for the Sony reader with a $300 store credit. This would hit two birds at once, reader price and guaranteed publisher income. Might not fly well because of the higher initial investment. That's why I like the subscription concept better on its chances for success.

If we could access enough books at will would it matter that we never owned them? I think that could induce the paradigm shift to ubiquitous cheap e-readers.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote