View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Overdrive lists their most downloaded books each month.

http://search.overdrive.com/Most-Dow...s-Library.aspx

I thought the juvenile non-fiction list was very interesting.

1. Three Cups of Tea
2. Omnivore's Dilemma
3. 1001 Facts about Dinosaurs
4. The U.S. History Cookbook
etc.

The first two surprise me as being quite meaningful and a serious read.

Do you think we underestimate our children and the next generation will surprise us? Is there hope for us?

[The dinosaur book would have been my favorite ]
The problem with this is interpretation. These aren't necessarily books being checked out by juveniles, but books classified by Overdrive as juvenile books. It could easily be mainly adults checking these out. I know I check out a lot of books classified as juvies.

At the Philadelphia Library, Omnivore's Dilemma is classified as Health & Fitness, Nonfiction, Sociology which seems about right. It really isn't a juvie book.

Kids don't read today. The ones that do read, read a lot, but most don't. I work with kids and ask them daily about what their favorite things to do are. Very few mention reading. That would have been my #1 answer when I was a kid.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote