Thread: Literary I, Claudius by Robert Graves
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've begun the audiobook and am closing in on two hours in. I am enjoying it so far though it feels like it's still on the prologue (technically I think I'm on chapter 4). The book begins with what seems like will be a quick summary of events before the book's story, but I feel like I'm still in that.

I think it's mainly because first of all Claudius himself is nowhere to be seen yet aside from the very first flash-forward prophecy, and second of all because there has been no showing of events yet, no dialogue etc., only telling, still in a summarising fashion. There is the general advice with writing to 'show, not tell', which I think can be a little reductive, especially since everyone in criticism seems to take that advice as a rule and yet so many famous, classic and/or popular books (even literary ones) are chock full of sections or pieces of 'telling' rather than 'showing'. But really there must be a limit, and I'm hoping this book gets to the showing soon.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote