View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #64
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
0.7.56 introduces a new feature for 0.8 that I've been working on for over a month now. There is a new toolbar action called "Get Books." Under preferences, Plugins, they're in Store plugins.

As the names suggest this feature bring store integration to calibre. For the 0.8 release I've included 14 different stores. They are a mix of big box, independent, public domain and free sources. The idea behind this feature is to allow users to easily acquire new books.

The integration varies with the majority of them being the source's website in an embedded browser. Unfortunately most of them don't allow for more integration.

Using the embedded browser allows me to detect ebook downloads. When an ebook is selected to download it will be downloaded using calibre's job system and automatically added to the current library. A tag with the store name is added to the library entry.

Each store plugin can be customized. Right now the tags added to downloaded books can be modified. Also, if you don't want the store's opening in the the embedded browser you can select to have them opened in the system's default web browser.

The big feature of the store integration is search. Every store supported by calibre is supported by the store search dialog. The search dialog returns a number of common information: cover, title, author, price, store. I plan to extend this to also include DRM status and formats before the 0.8 release.

I do not plan on adding any new store before the 0.8 release. However, once 0.8 is out I will be taking requests for other stores. Kovid has also put me in charge of the store code in case anyone wants to implement their own store plugins.

Kovid and I have come to an agreement regarding the store integration. This will extend to anyone else. Affiliate programs are allowed to be used. About half of the store's in I've added use affiliate urls (most of the pay ones). The distribution is 70% to the plugin author / maintainer and 30% to the calibre project (distributed to Kovid).

One thing I want to make clear this feature is designed for users. The goal is to make it easier for people to get books into calibre. That will be taken into consideration above all before any new stores are accepted.

Also, as I said that 70% of revenue goes to the author / maintainer. If someone creates a store and doesn't want to maintain it (shouldn't be much maintenance) then I will change the affiliate url to someone who is willing to put in the work. With this feature I hope that it is useful and helpful for calibre users. I also hope that these initial stores will allow me to generate enough income to work on calibre full time. New store plugins will be accepted on a first come first serve basis and I will not prevent anyone from making money on this feature aside from the above usefulness consideration. For example a store that doesn't implement search will be automatically denied.

I would love to get input on this feature. From a technical, usable, general standpoint. Let me know what works, what doesn't, what need to be changed.
I just read this three times and I still haven't a clue what you just said.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote