View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #115
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

finally got my pair of Augens (reads so much better than "The Books") from KMart. One was new, the other was a return and the turkey who had it first engraved some stuff on the back with what looks like a drill bit.

Anyway, it is hard not to be impressed with the apparent value of the device: it seems solid, and the screen is clear and all the buttons need the same degree of pressure to operate them. The operation is best described as "idiosyncratic" but as a reader it seems quite okay. My wife loves hers already. Loading books is straightforward though slow. All the other issues mentioned here are relevant, but I haven't tried the SD card yet.

Question re the firmware updates: does anyone know if the new firmware will require the previous firmware to be installed first? I guess I'm asking if it is likely to be a patch or a whole new firmware.

My units have the old firmware and will remain like that - the accelerometer issue would be a little too annoying, and given the fix is only days away, I can wait.

Cheers,
OK, back in town from a trip to Key West, it was nice!.

Went to the Augen Corporate site while shopping for some new patio furniture and it looks "empty".

Metal Mick, with the "personalized" unit I sure HOPE that they gave you the "Open Box" price ($65)?

On my trip up I95 I stopped at a K-Mart to pick up some refreshments and went to the service desk asking if hey have any returns of the "The Book" they had one and I picked it up (I now have two spares...) first they wanted the full price but I showed them my sales slip from another K-Mart for $65 for the open box and they sold it to me for the same price.

Yes the Unit has value and it is my understanding that group of Linux gurus went to the chips Ingenics china site and downloaded all of the development software and are in the process of "sucking down" the insides, initial comments are that Augen basically used all of the FREE "stock" demo apps (Mplayer being one of them) and they are looking to see if they can inject the more refined versions they will keep me informed since between them they have over 10 of the units.

We will se what Augen comes out with on the 30th of August, if any thing....
The place looks kind of empty.......
OH!
If you want to know about MASADA, just does a web history search; I sure hope that Augen will not make a similar decision!

Radioman52 Over and Out....

Last edited by RadioMan52; 08-26-2010 at 10:57 AM.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote