View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #82
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
What we need is better batteries, or better technology. So they can get smaller and smaller and more powerful.

I been getting 3 days now with light turned off when its brighter during the day. I do most of my reading with light and not in bed. I fall asleep in bed too fast to get much reading done that way.

I read heavily, hours each day. I do not use the audible feature on it. I just tried it out when I first got it to see how it works. I have wifi off and when I do have a light on its around 8-9.

So yes, it doesn't last as long as the O1 or the Voyage. But I am fine with it at this point. I am still trying to figure out if turning touchscreen off has any effect on battery. I do know it has an positive effect on my obsessively checking the battery percentage.

I do think it goes down slower starting at 100 and a tad faster when it gets lower. Might just be in my head.

Done worrying about it.
Totally agree, I know researchers are working on slimmer, more powerful batteries, but they need to do it quicker!

I'm fed up worrying about what brightness my KAO2 is at, etc., but I hardly use the light, my wifi is (usually) always off, and it still drains very quickly. It's not indexing, I've checked.

I'm downloading the new firmware to switch the screen commands off - I'm looking forward to using it just with the buttons.

I need to stop worrying about this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's been said that thinner is not always better and this proves it. Just put in a better battery and if i has to be thicker/heavier, so be it.
Although I already find the Oasis rather too heavy, I think I'd rather have it even heavier (or even have an extra battery in the case, like the first one, than be worrying about the battery life all the time. Today was my last day to return it and I'm definitely keeping it, as I love the larger screen, and I really love reading it in the bath (I can even read it with the whole device plunged under water - which I like to do, just because I can. ). (I was thinking about sending it back, and buying a first edition Oasis instead, but I'll tough it out. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

Amazon could easily double the battery life of the Oasis 2 (by doubling the battery size) - but then we'd have a thicker and heavier device. I wonder where the sweet spot would be - the ideal balance between battery life and portability?
If it were just 20g heavier, and it lasted for another week, I could deal with the extra weight.
I'll be carrying a battery extender with me whenever I travel. I'm convinced it's going to expire on the plane. (It really might, after I've been reading in the airport, and with the flight being around 11 hours!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I've also noticed the Oasis 2 battery life not being particularly good. I can get WWAAYY more reading done on my Nook Glowlight 3 before needing to charge it than I can on the Oasis 2. Way way more. Did I mention way more?
I was in B&N yesterday, and saw this glowlight 3 - it looks very retro, and they are making the comfort light (or whatever they are calling it) a big thing. Must be nice to not have to worry about the battery all the time. I'm guessing the next kindle will finally include this. But I'm keeping this one for three years - after all, I bought the warranty this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
The Oasis is becoming a “charge it every night” item for me just like my Apple devices.
Yes, I suppose I'll have to just readjust my expectations and recharge it every night like you are doing, dublincheri.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote