View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I understand why the story centered on Offred; she was everywoman. Most of us are not the stuff of heroes, much less martyrs. Just the same, she irritated me. She was self-absorbed and made stupid choices and I rather resented that the mechanics of the resistance were put into play to save her, of all people. But that was a visceral response and attests to the effectiveness of Atwood's choice. Overall, there are too many hero stories, especially in dystopias, where it seems as if it takes only one person to being down an entire system. But there are many more Offreds than Katnisses and perhaps that's why I disliked Offred; it's the acknowledgment that I'm an Offred.
That's an interesting perspective. My identification with Offred is why I feel sympathy for her. I like to think that I would be more proactive in defending myself, but I think I am just as likely to submit and finally adjust to my own dismal circumstances when there is an entire society built around my subjugation. I think maybe when you are surrounded by people who are not resisting, it's easier to give in, as opposed to a situation in which one person is trying to harm you. Offred was immersed in a system where others did not resist their own oppression, and I think that probably makes it that much harder. It is also the most frustrating aspect of the book, however, as I found Offred's passivity annoying but also understandable (and frightening).
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote